Begins reading in wrong place

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Andrew

Begins reading in wrong place

Post by Andrew »

I have TA 4.0.17 set to watch the mouse and to automatically create a new document and start reading. Sometimes when starts reading is skips the first part of the text. This might be a dozen words or three paragraphs. I cannot see a pattern in why this happens. I didn't have this problem with TA3.
Jim Bretti

Re: Begins reading in wrong place

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sometimes problems like this are caused by pronunciation dictionaries that are not working correctly. If you're using TextAloud pronunciation dictionaries, temporarily disable all dictionaries, and see if that helps with the skipping. If it makes a difference, re-enable dictionaries / dictionary entries gradually until you isolate the problem entry(s)

If that is not the problem, are you using Speaking Rules in TextAloud settings? It is possible there is a bug with one of the rules, or using the rules in some combination. To turn speaking rules on and off, Display TextAloud Settings, and in the left panel, select Speaking Rules.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I checked the speaking rules and all the boxes are unchecked. I didn't install any dictionaries but I checked anyway and saw nothing there.

I'm using the same computer I used with TA version 3, and the same voices. So the only thing that has changed is the TA version 4. And the last time I used it it dropped down more than four paragraphs.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I have not been able to duplicate this myself, I think the next step is to take a look at TextAloud problem report. The next time you see this happen, click the Pause button to stop speaking, then from the TextAloud menu click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem. Just mention this problem in the problem report text. If we cannot identify the error immediately in the problem report it should give us some ideas on where to look.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com