Using in Word for Windows

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

malcolmd

Using in Word for Windows

Post by malcolmd »

It's nice to be able to use 'Speak' in a Word document, however, speech only seems available from the start of the document and it does not start from cursor position. Nor does it highlight the words being spoken.
Jim Bretti

Re: Using in Word for Windows

Post by Jim Bretti »

On the highlighting issue, there is a "Highlighting Enabled" checkbox in the TextAloud add-in, above the voice dropdown. Sometimes we hear this problem reported because this checkbox is not selected. Please double check that Highlighting Enabled is checked.

If speaking is always starting from the beginning of the document, and not at your cursor position, can you confirm that you're clicking the "Cursor" button in the add-in? Also, what happens if you select a paragraph of text in your document, and click the "Selected Text" button? Is it able to speak only the selected text?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
malcolmd

Post by malcolmd »

Thanks Jim....you're absolutely right! I missed the [Highlighting Enabled] button. It needs to be selected if you want the speech highlighted. And you're also right about using the [Speak] or [Cursor] or [Selected Text] buttons on the toolbar. I hadn't understood that and now that I do that's fine. It may have been more obvious if the Toolbar Heading/Tab read "Speak From".... and then the buttons could go [Start][Cursor][Selected Text].
Accurare

Post by Accurare »

Hi, I'm a new user - bought TextAloud about 10 days ago, works great and Salli is the best female voice I've heard in a tts voice, thanks for making them both tremendous products. I have one item that I'd like to see implemented if possible: I use TA 99% percent of the time inside Microsoft Word 64bit for Windows - and I would like the ability to swap out two or three icons and replace them with other easier to recognize icons like colorful wide arrows such as you have in the main program - I see where you've made it possible that the main program's icons can be changed, so if you would, sir, please do it for your Word add-in.
By the way, and you may be aware of this or it might be just a problem with my rig but earlier today I tried the beta 4 and just in case they are problems that you are not aware of, these two problems cropped up:
1: I could not change voices in the program at the Word Add in level and have the change work - specifically after Beta 4 installed, the default voice was David. I changed the default in the main program to Salli and then changed to Salli also in the Word Add-in. The Word Add-in made the change to Salli in the default selection for the Add in, but the voicce didn't change. Salli was listed as default but I was getting the previous default David voice. The main program worked fine, but I tried every way without success to get Salli to speak through the Word Add in without success. The other problem occurred when I was trying to uninstall the program - it stalled and froze. Fortunately I had just last night made a backup of my system, so I just re-imaged my Windows and programs and got it uninstalled that way. Otherwise I liked it, just those 2 minor glitches and also the feature that I'd like to see with the option of changing icons in the Word Add-in, thanks.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look at making the button icons in the Word add-on configurable, I haven't looked at that before.

On the problem you mentioned with the voice change not working, are you able to duplicate this? If you're still seeing the problem, speak a small text sample from the Word addin, and then send a TextAloud problem report. From the TextAloud menu click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem, and just mention this issue in the problem report text.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com