Inconsistencies With Character Speaking And Filtering

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Wordhewer

Inconsistencies With Character Speaking And Filtering

Post by Wordhewer »

In Character Speaking And Filtering, I've set up very brief, quiet waveform sounds to be triggered by certain punctuation marks, to indicate the occurrence of parentheses, question marks, and exclamation marks, because these are not always well indicated by the inflection of the NeoSpeech voices in use on my system.

I find that these sounds only occur when the punctuation characters occur at the very end of a selection to be read aloud — both when spoken from within a TextAloud document or from an external selection read using the appropriate hotkey to read them. Sometimes, but not always, they will sound at the end of a paragraph, but only a paragraph followed by two CRLFs.

The two sounds I created for the purpose are respectively 0.04 and 0.05 seconds in length.

Thinking that perhaps the reading of the text was continuing before the sounds could be completed, I added an additional filter to pause for 0.06 sec. at the occurrence of these characters, with no improvement.

Can anyone kindly suggest a reason for this, and a possible solution? Any input will be much appreciated.

// Steve in Toronto //