How to Skip [Time Stamp] on Skype Chat

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Rosco

How to Skip [Time Stamp] on Skype Chat

Post by Rosco »

Skype Chat begins each new comment with a time stamp like the sample below...

[10:31:50 AM] Phil Pruscino: Hi Greg - I'm coming to Nashville - bought plane ticket yesterday - 30 hour trip - can't wait
[10:31:54 AM] Brett Lewis: Are you guys doing any informal get togethers before or after the event? I'm getting ready to book my airline ticket.
[10:32:00 AM] JoanneD: Hi Everyone

Is there a way to get TextAloud to skip this e.g. [10:31:50 AM] when speaking Skype Chat that has been copied and pasted into TextAloud 3?

Thanks
Rosco
Jim Bretti

Re: How to Skip [Time Stamp] on Skype Chat

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Rosco,

Take a look at this post: http://nextup.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6439. It explains how to create a pronunciation dictionary entry to skip text enclosed in parentheses or square brackets.

If you want to use a regular expression that specifically matches a timestamp contained in square brackets, you could create a pronunciation dictionary entry like this ... create a new dictionary entry and set Text Matching to "Regular Expression". For the regular expression, try this:

\[\d{1,2}:\d\d:\d\d (AM|PM)\]

Then set the Pronounce Using dropdown to "Skip Text". The pattern is looking for decimal digits (\d) separated by colons. Using \d{1,2} for the hour allows for the hour to be 1 or 2 digits. Also, the square bracket characters have meaning inside regular expressions, so they are escaped with a backslash character.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Rosco

Re: How to Skip [Time Stamp] on Skype Chat

Post by Rosco »

Thanks Jim, That's awesome... It works perfectly.

Rosco :)