Phoneme Generator

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

jack Schmidling

Phoneme Generator

Post by jack Schmidling »

I keep getting an error msg saying "only one top level element allowed". It's not exactly obvious what that means but it even happens when I allow the helper to generate the phoneme.

My present plague is au revoir.

Could someone please provide me with a phoneme that works with mike?

And then explain what a top level element is.

Thanks,

js
Jim Bretti

Re: Phoneme Generator

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Jack

Are you seeing this error from AT&T Mike in the Phoneme Helper dialog? Normally the 'top level element' message you're seeing means a voice is having problems with tags in the text. Phoneme corrections are performed by inserting sapi5 xml tags in the text, so could be we're generating a bad tag somehow.

Let me know if that is the voice you're having the problem with, and also, exactly what text are you using in the 'Sounds Like' field.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jack Schmidling

Jim Bretti wrote:Hi Jack

Are you seeing this error from AT&T Mike in the Phoneme Helper dialog?
Yes

>Let me know if that is the voice you're having the problem with, and also, exactly what text are you using in the 'Sounds Like' field.

ATT Mike.

I don't have the original text but this is close enough.

It is time to say au revoir my friend.

If I take it to the dictionary and respell as is I get different pronunciations with the upper test and the full text test at the bottom.

If I use the phoneme helper to generate it I get ow r ax v w aa which sounds like foke revoir

There is a red x but it still pronounces it as above.

Let's deal with this before going on to sounds like as I have big problems understanding those tables.

js
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The red x in the phoneme helper dialog means the phoneme string is not valid. If you're seeing strange errors, like the 'top level element ...' message, make sure the phoneme string is valid. It looks like the test button may be trying the test without validating the phoneme string, I'll fix that in the next update.

I did not have much luck coming up with a good phoneme pronunciation for 'au revoir'. About the closest thing I could get is ao r ax v w aa
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jack Schmidling

Jim Bretti wrote:The red x in the phoneme helper dialog means the phoneme string is not valid.
I understand that but why would it create invalid phonemes? I am speaking of instances where it created them along with the red x.

> If you're seeing strange errors, like the 'top level element ...' message, make sure the phoneme string is valid. It looks like the test button may be trying the test without validating the phoneme string, I'll fix that in the next update.

I don't know if it's my computer or real but I gave up trying to understand the phoneme list until I realized that the v's are y's in some cases and vice versa. I see only v's on my display but have determined that some work when changed to y.

The other problem is real basic.... where are the vowel sounds a e i o u? Most of the sounds like does not make any sense and I can't tell what sound it is trying to sound like. iov for example... is that an i sound or an o sound and it's not even a recognizable word. What is doa supposed to be?

>I did not have much luck coming up with a good phoneme pronunciation for 'au revoir'. About the closest thing I could get is ao r ax v w aa

That's close enough and pretty good actually.

js
jack Schmidling

jack Schmidling wrote:
Jim Bretti wrote:The red x in the phoneme helper dialog means the phoneme string is not valid.
I understand that but why would it create invalid phonemes? I am speaking of instances where it created them along with the red x.

> If you're seeing strange errors, like the 'top level element ...' message, make sure the phoneme string is valid. It looks like the test button may be trying the test without validating the phoneme string, I'll fix that in the next update.

I don't know if it's my computer or real but I gave up trying to understand the phoneme list until I realized that the v's are y's in some cases and vice versa. I see only v's on my display but have determined that some work when changed to y.

The other problem is real basic.... where are the vowel sounds a e i o u? Most of the sounds like list does not make any sense and I can't tell what sound it is trying to sound like. iov for example... is that an i sound or an o sound and it's not even a recognizable word. What is doa supposed to be? Why can't vowels just be the letter with an overscore as in long a etc? Where is the long I sound?

>I did not have much luck coming up with a good phoneme pronunciation for 'au revoir'. About the closest thing I could get is ao r ax v w aa

That's close enough and pretty good actually.

js