replacing symbol "¬"

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

jungaree

replacing symbol "¬"

Post by jungaree »

Hi,

For some reason when I copied and pasted text from a Word doc into Textaloud, I got a bunch of words split by the symbol "¬" and I'm unsure how to get rid of these from the text. They're are compromising pronunciation and there's far too many to remove manually.

Appreciate any help. Thanks,

Glen
Jim Bretti

Re: replacing symbol "¬"

Post by Jim Bretti »

From the TextlAloud menu, try Edit -> Replace. The dialog should allow you to leave the Replace string empty, allowing you to remove the characters.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jungaree

Post by jungaree »

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I should have written that I already tried that. I get the message, "The string ¬ was not found."

Here's a sample of the text if you'd like to have a go:

"south¬ern Tanzania (see photo). Whether or not the monkey remains clas¬sified in this genus will depend on DNA analysis."

Thanks again,

Glen
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Glen,

Its odd, I was able to use Edit -> Replace to replace those characters. Are you running the latest version (3.0.13) of TextAloud? If not, download the installer from http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe and see if installing the update helps.

If that doesn't help, can you send me the text for an entire article? Use File -> Save Article As Text File, and send the text file to me at jim@nextup.com. If it is possible to send me a sample Word document that would probably be even better.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jungaree

Post by jungaree »

Hi Jim,

Got it figured out.

From the Edit: Replace Text window, I had to uncheck the Options: Case Sensitive, Whole Words Only, and Prompt on Replace.

Thanks again (and for the update link),

Glen
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I didn't think to ask about that. The Whole Words Only option is causing the problem.

Glad to hear you figured it out.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
voiceboxer

Post by voiceboxer »

Hey guys,

Been searching around the forum and thought I would mention this same method of symbol fixing caused the latest version of TA to freeze up for me it seemed like 1 of every three times. I got it fixed, but found it weird that the program wasn't wanting to function once I unchecked whole words only. Possible bug? If we can figure out all of the details I will include a fix in the e-reader email marketing material I am putting together right now that goes out to various IT staffing agencies across the world.
Last edited by voiceboxer on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sounds like a bug but I can't seem to get it to happen myself. Can you email me a sample of text where you're seeing this problem? If you can, please send to me at jim@nextup.com

If you're just trying to prevent the symbol from being sent to the voice engines, you could also try setting up a character filter until we figure out what is going on with search/replace. From the TextAloud menu, click Tools -> Text Processing -> Character Speaking and Filtering. Click the Add button, and on the add dialog, use the option 'Filter Character', and place some characters to filter, including the ¬ character, in the field labeld "Characters:"
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com