My Scansoft Voices Won't Work in TA3

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

J-Mac

My Scansoft Voices Won't Work in TA3

Post by J-Mac »

I just upgraded from the TA3 beta to the full upgraded TA3. Looks OK, works OK with AT&T Audrey (UK English), but none of my Scansoft voices will read article text. Beyond that, one voice - Scansoft Lee (Australian English) crashes TA3 within a second or two after I click on the Speak button in the main TA UI.

"Access violation at address 04B88784 in module 'rs_sapi5_solo.dll'. Read of address 00000010." That seems to be the main offense in the error report that is created. Unfortunately each time I clicked to send the TA crash report I got back a message stating that it was rejected by Spamhaus.

Has anyone else had a problem with their Scansoft voices in TA3? Most of the Scansoft voices were installed independent of TA but Scansoft Samantha was purchased here. Also when I went from TA2 to the TA3 beta version Samantha stopped working then also and it took a lot of help from Ken to get her working again. Not sure why Samantha would stop again going from the TA3 beta to TA3 full version.

Thanks for any help and/or advice!

Jim
J-Mac

Re: My Scansoft Voices Won't Work in TA3

Post by J-Mac »

I reinstalled Scansoft Samantha, which I purchased from NextUp, and that voice seems to working fine now. However the other voices were all installed with other programs; I have disabled them all for now though I will miss Scansoft Tom as that was the best-sounding male voice on my machine.

Still hoping for some advice.

Thanks!

Jim
kdwhite
Site Admin

Post by kdwhite »

The ones installed generally with the Nuance products are done in a way to make them only usable in those products and not sharable by others.
Ken White
NextUp.com
The Power of Spoken Audio
http://www.NextUp.com

** TextAloud - The world's most popular Text To Speech tool.
http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Hi Ken. As I mentioned in my last post, reinstalling Samantha has her working fine now. :)

And I didn't notice it right away but Scansoft Tom is also working since then - I guess that reinstalling Samantha somehow got the Scansoft TTS engine working in TA3 again. I disabled the other voices - most were other languages that I wouldn’t use anyway. A couple looked interesting but I am fine with the ones I purchased for use with TA, which are all working now.

Thanks!

Jim
kremesch

Post by kremesch »

I find this happens when I have other Nuance products installed after I've installed my regular SS voices since they install their own version that causes my other SS voices to stop working. Reinstalling as you did has always worked for me. Could this be the cause for you? I only ask because TA has never been the cause for errors with SS voices for me, only other Nuance products.
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Yes, most likely. I had two SS voices installed previously that worked well in TA2 and TA3 beta: Samantha ans Tom. Samantha was purchased from NextUp but Tom had been installed long before - not sure by which program - but Tom also worked in TA. Then shortly before installing the TA3 licensed upgrade over the beta I had installed the latest versions of Nuance's Paperport 12 Pro, Omnipage 17 Pro, and PDF Converter Pro 7. I would guess that one or more of those installed all the other SS voices I found when I installed TA3. Most were non-English voices that would not have been used anyway, but SS Lee (Australian English) sounded interesting and he was the first I tried that caused TA to crash.

Similar issue occurred when I installed TA3 for the first time. Samantha and Tom stopped working until I reinstalled Samantha. Then all was OK. Looks like the same fix worked again.

Thanks!

Jim
aball

Post by aball »

Hi,
My Scansoft voices, also, don't work anymore! It happened somewhere between TA 309 and 3017, but I don't exactly know when.

I think I know why those Scansoft (SAPI5) voices, installed by Scansoft programs, work in other programs on the computer, and that is when you have more than one Scansoft program installed, that uses Text-to-Speech.

I have OmniPro and PDFPro, and the voices work in all the programs on my computer, that can use them, except as mentioned, TextAloud, now.

What is more, I have NextUp-Scansoft Jennifer, and I have never been able to use her, because she takes over the whole Scansoft Text-to-Speech, even in the Scansoft programs, where she is then the only voice available!
Then you have to do a Repair on OmniPro (the one with the different languages) to get the voices back, but then Jennifer doesn't work anymore!

I didn't used to mind that very much, but now I mind about the whole thing, because it seems totally unreasonable, that every other program can use those voices except TextAloud, and it can't use Jennifer either!

And contrary to J-Mac, I do want to use some of those other languages at times.

I have tried re-installing different versions of TA3, although I didn't uninstall all the voices from NextUp, so it didn't totally uninstall, because I couldn't remove the TextAloud directory in Programs, but did in the User directory.

If I knew it would do the trick, if I removed everything, I would, but not on the off chance. And it wouldn't help Jennifer anyway.

I would appreciate your help to resolve this, very much.

Agnes Ballard
kremesch

Post by kremesch »

I can't speak for the other languages because I don't use them but after the following fix, the voices packaged with Scansoft/Nuance generally do work.

Usually, the voices that are packaged with a program only work with that program (TA is another program and therefore incompatible with a packaged voice designed to work only with the package it was designed to work with). If you have other voices from that company (standalone versions), they will be overwritten by the packaged voices designed to work only with that package after that package (program) is installed.

The thing that has always worked for me is to reinstall the individual voices that did not come with other Scansoft/Nuance Programs (eg. voices you might have purchased from NextUp or other places that did not come as part of a package with another program). This must be done after installing the program and its packaged voices, and it must be done every single time you install a packaged voice.

You don't need to uninstall anything, just reinstall the standalone voices and they should work.

So far, Scansoft/Nuance voices are the only ones that I've run into with this issue.
aball

Post by aball »

Thanks for trying to help kremesch, but I already covered all that in my post, and what happens when etc, and none of it is a satisfactory solution.

Since you don't care about the other languages, you perhaps never checked in the Scansoft programs, that they belong to, to see if they are still available there, and that they work, after you install the NextUp-Scansoft voices?

I wrote in my first post what happens in my case, and that is not an option at all!

Agnes Ballard
kremesch

Post by kremesch »

When you say they work in "other" programs, which programs are you talking about? Windows and other SS/Nuance programs, or are there additional TTS programs from other vendors that they work in?

Just curious, because--in my situation--the packaged SS programs generally 'do' work for windows but not for other TTS programs from other vendors if I only have the packaged voices installed. The more detail you can provide might help others to help you better.

As for the other languages, I generally do a custom install and don't install them at all (only the english), which makes it difficult for me to check and I rarely use the packaged voices due to the fact that I have the standalone ones. I realise your situation is different from mine so the more information you provide might help someone else help you that's run into a similar situation.
aball

Post by aball »

For instance, they work in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Reader, and until recently, in TextAloud. The question is, why did it quit there?

What do you mean by "in Windows"--do you mean the Narrator? And do you have more then one Scansoft program with Text-to-Speech (SAPI5), like I mentioned in my first post?

And with "standalone" do you mean NextUp-Scansoft voices, because they are only supposed to work in NextUp programs, or really "standalone" that work everywhere?

Whichever they are, are any of them the same as the English one or ones, that were installed with the Scansoft program? Or did you, beside the US English, also install the UK English? What I mean to say is, that if one of the voices in the Scansoft program, I suspect it's OmniPro, is different from your "standalone", you can still check if those voices are still available there, or have been replaced by your "standalone", most likely the one you installed last.

If you read my first post again, I think that you'll know what I mean.
J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

When I first started this thread back in October the problem was that I had several Scansoft voices that were supplied with other Scansoft/Nuance applications (Dragon, PDF Converter Pro, Paperport, Omnipage). All worked fine in TextAloud 2 and also in the TA3 beta. However all stopped working as soon as I installed the official released TA3. Re-installing Scansoft Samantha got her voice working along with Scansoft Tom - which had been supplied with Dragon NaturallySpeaking a couple years before. But all the other non-English Scansoft voices never did start working again.

I don’t believe that Scansoft voices installed with other Scansoft or Nuance programs can only work within those programs. Scansoft's voices have never acted in that way before and all have always been usable with any other program installed on Windows that uses TTS.

Thanks!

Jim
aball

Post by aball »

Well, J-Mac, in my experience, all this stuff with the Scansoft voices, depends on the Scansoft programs that are installed on your computer.

As I said before, if you have more than one Scansoft Text-to-Speech (SAPI5) program installed, they become sort of universal, because the different Scansoft programs have to access them, and if the NextUp Scansoft voices become universal, I believe it is for the same reason, those Scansoft programs.

What's more, it seems like these two versions, Scansofts & NextUps, cannot exist side by side on the computer!

Originally PDFPro had only one voice, but after OmniPro was installed, PDFPro got access to all the voices in OmniPro.

When I had only one of those programs installed, I could not use the included voice or voices anywhere else. After I installed the second I could.

And Dragon Speaking's voices, up to version 9.5, I could never use anywhere else. I don't know about any newer versions, but up to 9.5, it used SAPI4, and that doesn't benefit from installed SAPI5 programs, or visa versa.

So there it is, as far as I can tell!

Agnes