Firefox wuill not play text

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Ronny

Firefox wuill not play text

Post by Ronny »

What is wrong with FF not playing text when highlighting it, I just installed 4 and no luck.
Jim Bretti

Re: Firefox wuill not play text

Post by Jim Bretti »

Are you seeing any error messages ?

Also, is the problem possibly related to specific web sites? Try visiting https://nextup.com, and see if you're able to speak highlighted text from the extension.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Ural4320

Post by Ural4320 »

If it's anything like TA3, then yes, it only happens with certain websites. I don't know why, though... Do they have a different encoding for the text? Are the pages unable to be "read" by TextAloud due to some protection system?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The problem has to do with with the way some sites format pages. The extension currently relies on some specific formatting to extract text from the page and support word highlighting. We hope to fix this in future versions of the browser extensions.

It should be possible to workaround the issue by configuring TextAloud hotkeys to speak highlighted text. You'd be able to hear the text spoken but with no word highlighting.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Ural4320

Post by Ural4320 »

Thanks, that's good to know, can I help by making a list of what sites don't work when I run into them, or something like that?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

If you have some urls's you're having trouble with, best thing to do would be mail a list to me at jim@nextup.com. That would be helpful if you can do it.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com