pronouncing dot/point/period

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

sulu99

pronouncing dot/point/period

Post by sulu99 »

Is there a way to get the pronunciation part of TextAloud to pronounce .NET as "dotnet" but don't pronounce the dot at the end of a sentence? I get a lot of text like this:

The ASP.NET web API controller uses the repository.

-sulu
Jim Bretti

Re: pronouncing dot/point/period

Post by Jim Bretti »

Is the problem you want to pronounce the period in .NET as a dot, but not periods at the end of sentence? Let me know if that's not right.

If that's the problem, one solution is to create an entry in a TextAloud pronunciation dictionary that matches the text .NET and respells it. See below for the respelling I think you should use.

From the TextAloud main menu click Control Center -> Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance. In this dialog you have the option of using the default dictionary (named "My Dictionary") or creating another dictionary.

Select a dictionary to use, and click the New Entry button (or File -> New Entry). In the dialog displayed, set Text Matching to "Simple Text" and match on this text:
.NET

Then set Pronounce Using to "Respell", and for the respelling use
<s>dot net

The <s> in the respelling inserts a space. The space should help with pronouncing ASP.NET, since the voice engine sees "ASP dot net" and not "ASPdot net"

You'll also need to set Word Boundary Required on the Right as the word boundary condition, and make the match case sensitive. Requiring a word boundary on the right allows the match to work when .NET appears by itself, or in the text ASP.NET

Let me know if that doesn't work.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com