You can download TextAloud 4.0.34 from: https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe

Release notes are at http://nextup.com/files/ta4relnotes
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
ramrise

Re: TextAloud 4.0.34 is available

Post by ramrise »

Jim,
This ta4034.exe file doesn't simply download into my "downloads" folder. No, it tries to run without downloading and I'm not comfortable with that. Is this a new change or have the Microsoft demons changed my settings, for my safety, while I was sleeping? What's more, VLC media player tries to open up this exe file and that gets nowhere. I had to disable VLC in order to complete the update but the update did not download to my DOWNLOADS folder as it should but instead automatically ran itself and completed the update.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I don't know of any changes we've made to our installer that would explain this. I just tried downloading with a couple different browsers and did not see any problem, I was able to download the installer to a downloads folder and run it manually.

Can you let me know if you see the problem when you download the installer from our download page at https://nextup.com/download.html?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
ramrise

Post by ramrise »

Jim,
It's still trying to install itself automatically. I see the Installer (NextUpTA4Installer.exe) in my Temp folder but I'm not sure why it wants to automatically run. I did try the download on Google Chrome and Explorer and it worked properly on both browsers. It must be a Firefox issue. It's odd though that it only happens with the NextUp site. Thanks for your help Jim
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry but I don't have any explanation at all. I've tried the installer from Firefox on two systems here and I'm not seeing the problem myself. If you have extensions installed it is possible an extension you have installed may have something to do with it, but I can't explain why you see it only on the nextup site. I'll keep an eye open and post if I find anything.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
ahopkins2984

Post by ahopkins2984 »

I know this was a problem in a 2018 post, but I recently installed this version and I am having a problem with "Speaking Rules-Voice Changes" settings not working.

Voice Change Settings:
Parentheses or Quotes

Article:
https://lifehacker.com/why-you-should-e ... 1836827179

If I use the Firefox plugin the voice change works, but I don't want to listen to all the menu, so I highlighted what I wanted and added it to an article. When I tried to listen to the article from TextAloud itself, it does change to the different voice, but it doesn't go back after the closing parentheses/quotes.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry if we've done this already, but I'll need more information to figure out why you're seeing this problem.

Would you please duplicate the problem, then send a TextAloud Problem report after speaking the text? To send the problem report, click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem on the TextAloud main menu, and just mention this issue briefly in the problem report text.

Also, would you please email the article text after sending the problem report? Use File -> Save Article As Text File, and attach the text file to your reply.

Thanks
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com