Speaking text boxes in Microsoft Word

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

andrewpinney

Speaking text boxes in Microsoft Word

Post by andrewpinney »

To get TextAloud 4 to speak text boxes in Microsoft Word, I highlight the text within the text box and then use the Speak Selected Text facility. While TextAloud correctly speaks the highlighted text in the text box, the highlighting jumps to an earlier part of the document, and as a result is completely un-synchronised with the speech. Visually disconcerting. If my memory serves me correctly, TextAloud 3 behaved in the same way. I don't know if there is an easy bug fix for this, but it would round off an otherwise pretty good experience when listening/tracking highlighting within a Microsoft Word document. Many thanks.

PS. I don't suppose the background/foreground text highlighting available with in the TextAloud UI could ever be replicated in the Microsoft Word environment?
andrewpinney

Re: Speaking text boxes in Microsoft Word

Post by andrewpinney »

I just realised the same behaviour occurs with footnotes in Microsoft Word. While they are spoken, TextAloud highlighting focuses somewhere else in the document. So it's another variant of the text box text highlighting issue.
Jim Bretti

Re: Speaking text boxes in Microsoft Word

Post by Jim Bretti »

Both issues, text boxes and footnotes, have been issues for quite a while now. I'll see if we can get to this and handle better.

On the highlighting question, we currently just adjust the background color in Word. Are you asking if it is possible to set a foreground highlighting color as well? I think that's possible if that is what you mean. Let me know if I misunderstood.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com