Cursor, - not: - wot!

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jessica2

Cursor, - not: - wot!

Post by Jessica2 »

H'ya, -- yar'all.

Currently running version 4.0.3
- And this is an observation only, and not a problem as such: well, it is really, ..

Platform Windows 10 (fall something) and Microsoft Word 2003.
Definition: - the cursor i-Beam cursor, ie: the slowly flashing text cursor on the screen, hereafter called the t-cursor.

In all TextAloud versions, (including betas) - prior to 4.0.3 - then using the (read from cursor) menu option worked as it should.
- AND! - the t-cursor followed the highlighted word being spoken on the screen, but not anymore.

In 4.0.3 - from the point that the t-cursor is on a word in text on the screen, and the menu item clicked: then the t-cursor stays there.
Not a biggie you might say, perhaps not, but after about two pages of the spoken word: << being spoken >>,
- then the highlighted [word] vanishes, but the text is still gets read back, continued on for too long, and word itself crashes.

(It could be something to do with word 2003, but I don't think so).

Now, I've never seen these issues that affected versions 4.0.1 -> 2, but I can see an issue now. It's not the end of the world, and as long as you're careful and save your work every time you click speak, then you're fine, ... BUT! ... As I say, I never saw this issue in even running the betas.

Something else that might be relevant, was that when I installed 4.0.3: then word complained about unsigned Marcos: clicked accept, and it all worked as normal, and again: never had that before either.

As I say: this an observation only, and not a problem as such, but it is an annoying issue none-the-less, and I hope that it can be sorted out at some point when it's convenient.

RGDS - Jessica.
I write, therefore: you are.
Jim Bretti

Re: Cursor, - not: - wot!

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Jessica,

Version 4.0.3 includes some changes to the way highlighting works in the Microsoft Word add-in. We added the ability to select a highlighting color in versions word starting with Word 2007, but the changes affect Word 2003 as well.

Is it possible for you to duplicate the crashes in a document you can send me? I've tested the changes in Word 2003 here with no problems, but there may be some formatting in your document we're having trouble with. If you can send a document, mail it to me at jim@nextup.com

No problem if you're not able to send the document. Just let me know and we'll try some other things.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jessica2

Post by Jessica2 »

> Is it possible for you to duplicate the crashes in a document you can send me?
> I've tested the changes in Word 2003 here with no problems,
> but there may be some formatting in your document we're having trouble with.

It only happened the once, but once was enough and someone was swearing a lot for not saving the document before hand.

My main concern is that the start cursor not following the highlighted (spoken) text, and the eventual [non] highlighting further down the document, but you do have to work on a document for sometime before that happens, and I can't duplicate it.

I might well reinstall 4.0.2 again, it worked fine: 0.3 is causing me grief.

Laters.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Jessica

I just placed an updated version of TextAloud 4, version 4.0.4, at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe. In this version, I updated the Word add-in to use the new highlighting code only if you're running Word 2007 or later. Please try installing 4.0.4 when you have a chance and let me know if things don't return to normal.

We'll just need to wait for a problem like this to happen in Word 2007 or later and investigate.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jessica2

Post by Jessica2 »

---------------------------
Error
TextAloud For Word error: the add-in has fired an exception.
Invalid index
OK

Sigh! - And it took me an age to re-install 4.0.2 - (because when I uninstalled 4.0.3 : it left all the old (new problem) dialogue,dbg files in the data folder), and it took time hunting it all down, but it seems that I'll have to go through it all again.

btw: that popup gets thrown up every time I reboot my computer, and then start Word for the first time. In use it doesn't Pop-up, only at the start of a new session. So I've no idea whether I'm running the new script or not, but what's on screen is the old black & white highlighted word with the cursor following it, and not the grey version that was causing me that concern.

Now I don't know weather to re-install it all again, or just get used to pressing that pop-up box every time.

Sigh again, ...
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Jessica,

Are you seeing the Addin Exception error in TextAloud 4.0.4? If you haven't tried installing this update yet please give it another try. Just download the installer at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe and run it, it should install on top of the version you're currently running. If you're already running 4.0.4, it wouldn't hurt to try reinstalling.

If you see the add-in exception error with 4.0.4 installed, please send a problem report from the TextAloud main window. From the main menu click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem, and just mention this issue in the problem report text.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jessica2

Post by Jessica2 »

Hi Jim,

Yup, running 4.0.4 and I get that pop-up error, re-ran the installed with that link just to make sure.

- Send error report through textAloud, and I'll leave you with it.

Many thanks for your attention thus far.