FireFox add on disabled

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Quantum

FireFox add on disabled

Post by Quantum »

I was dismayed to find that the TA3 toolbar in the latest Firefox(Quantum) has been disabled (legacy issues). Is it possible to fix this soon? Moving all my bookmarks to Chrome (which works well) is a hassle that I would rather avoid! Would appreciate an idea of when it can be fixed .... Thanks.
Quantum aka DaveH
Jim Bretti

Re: FireFox add on disabled

Post by Jim Bretti »

The current toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 57(Quantum). We are working on a new version of the extension and hope to have it available soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

An updated version of the TextAloud Extension for Firefox is available. To install the new extension, update to the latest version of TextAloud, version 3.0.111, at http://nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.

If you find any problems with the new extension post feedback here or email me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

Many thanks for the rapid response Jim. The new extension works well ---- like the chrome extension. I preferred the original toolbar but guess that's just familiarity. Really happy to have TA back in my favorite browser. :D
Quantum aka DaveH
lazarin

Post by lazarin »

The TextAlaud extention for Firefox, Chrome and MS Word do not work for me. It seems that they cannot find my Ivona Voices: Brian and Amy. In fact no voices appear in the options. After a few moments the page I was trying to read reports that a violation has occurred and give an error message

The stand alone TextAloud program does work.

This may be because I downloaded TextAloud 4 previously, then the fix for Firefox. I can't remove Text Alound 4 from Windows Control Manager. Also, in programfiles I have two folders. One for Next up (which seems to be where the voices are) and another TextAloud (where the program resides).

Thanks for your help.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I received and replied to the email you sent. Please follow the instructions in my reply to submit a problem report from TextAloud main menu.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
JohnDoe641

Post by JohnDoe641 »

I feel dumb for asking this, but how do you get to the updated extension to work in Quantum? I see it's enabled in the addons but there's no options and I don't see a toolbar option anywhere for it.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

It may be you need to manually activate the extension. We've seen a few cases where you need to disable and re-enable the extension. It could have something to do with Firefox disabling the old 'legacy' version of the extension. See if the notes at the bottom of this page help: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8548
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
JohnDoe641

Post by JohnDoe641 »

Thanks Jim, disabling and activating the extension did the trick!
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

I like the new extension and find it convenient to use the floating toolbar to pause, restart and stop the speech. I find it rather inconvenient to have to right click and select 'read from cursor' to restart reading from a new position. Would it be possible to add 'read from cursor' to the floating toolbar. I think it might even replace the 'speak all' button as I imagine most users would much prefer 'speak from cursor'
Quantum aka DaveH
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

It currently isn't possible for us to add speak from cursor to the floating toolbar. It is something we need to look at, and we'll add it if we can figure out how to do it.

In the meantime, we are planning to add functionality to configure keyboard shortcuts for speak actions in the Firefox extension, hopefully this update will be available soon.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

TextAloud 3.0.113 includes an update to the Firefox extension to support keyboard shortcuts. You can install the current version of TextAloud using the installer at http://nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.

After installing the update, start Firefox and display the popup for the TextAloud extension. Expand the Options entry, and click "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts".

Let me know if any questions or problems with the update
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com