Hazel pronounces the letter 'n' as silent, in unknown words

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

gachasen

Hazel pronounces the letter 'n' as silent, in unknown words

Post by gachasen »

Hazel pronounces the letter 'n' as silent, in unknown words. not sure what i need to add to that.
Jim Bretti

Re: Hazel pronounces the letter 'n' as silent, in unknown words

Post by Jim Bretti »

Do you mean the Microsoft Hazel voice that ships with Windows? If so, what version of Windows are you running? Also, Can you post a few sentences of sample text where you're seeing the problem?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
gachasen

Post by gachasen »

I didn't know Hazel was from microsoft, but i look and see it is a microsoft voice. I thought it was the basic voice which comes with your software, if you buy it without extra voices. British, older woman. But i am using Windows 8, and working with older text... and anytime there is an uncommon word which contains the letter 'n', the n's are pronounced silent. examples are openeth, unknowingly, unbaptized, demons, batanea, magnifieth, etc..
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I'm seeing the same issue on Windows 8 system here. It is odd that I see the issue with the UK Hazel voice, but not the US English David voice.

You may be able to solve some of the problems with TextAloud pronunciation dictionary entries. For example, a dictionary entry that respells the word "openeth" as "open-eth" seems to solve that one.

I don't know of a good general solution though, it seems like you'll need to come up with ways to handle each case separately.

An alternative would be to try one of our premium UK English voices at http://nextup.com/
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com