Speak is the Word.

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jessica2

Speak is the Word.

Post by Jessica2 »

Hello all,

I've 'trawled' and 'looked', and the problem has been addressed, in a way, but never expanded!

'The TextAloud Word Tool Bar!' -> Brilliant -> 'Speak from Cursor' and 'Read All! ... Works fine when accessed with the mouse! - But when I'm working on my text the last thing I want to do is take my hands off the keyboard. It's become an obsession to such an extent that I wont use the mouse for anything. I've assigned CTRL- Alt Key combinations to all the options I need, and use, and what's not covered by the CTRL - Alt key, is completed by a Macro.

The question:

Is there any way to assign a 'local' hot key to these buttons?

I've tried to write a macro, but the properties and methods of the tool bar don't seem to be available?

Any one?
I write, therefore: you are.
Jim Bretti

Re: Speak is the Word.

Post by Jim Bretti »

Currently, none of the TextAloud toolbars have the ability to let you define keyboard shortcuts ('local' hotkeys) for toolbar buttons. This comes up quite a bit, and we're planning to add this in a future release.

I looked at seeing if it was possible to get this to work via a macro, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do it.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jessica2

Post by Jessica2 »

> looked at seeing if it was possible to get this to work via a macro, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do it.

GRIN - Challenge!
Randog61

Post by Randog61 »

SO FAR I'VE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO ADD TWO HOTKEY COMMANDS, 1) READ TEXT ALOUD, 2) PAUSE \ RESUME. I HAVE NO IDEA IF THESE ARE THE ONLY ONES I CAN ADD AS I AM NOT AN EXPERT USING THE LATEST VERSION. MY DEAL IS WHEN I GET INTO AN ARTICLE MENTIONED I WANT TO USE THE NAVIGATION\WITHIN ARTICLE NAVIGATIONS\SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH OR SKIP FORWARD AND SKIP BACK. IF THERE IS A WAY I'D LOVE TO KNOW CAUSE A HOTKEY WOULD BE GREAT. DON'T HATE ON ME, I'M A NEWBIE!!!
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hotkeys are used when you want TextAloud to interact with other applications on your system. For example, you can use a hotkey to speak selected text in a different application.

Keyboard shortcuts can be configured for actions that happen inside the TextAloud application, such as the skip actions you're referring to. So under the TextAloud menu, click Tools -> Shortcut Setup. On the Shortcut Setup dialog, set the Category dropdown to "Navigation". Locate the Skip functions you want to create shortcuts for, and either double click or click the Edit Shortcut button. This should allow you to configure keyboard shortcuts for the skip actions.

Let me know if that doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com