Latest update made alt+f4 exit TA

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

SomeGuy123

Latest update made alt+f4 exit TA

Post by SomeGuy123 »

The latest Textaloud update has made the use of Alt+f4 to minimize TA to the tray useless. It exits now instead. Any solution?
blake31

Re: Latest update made alt+f4 exit TA

Post by blake31 »

Alt+f4 is a standard keyboard shortcut built into Windows to exit the current application. I was able to duplicate the problem you describe using different keystrokes. I entered system menu via alt+space, then n for minimize. Performing minimize within TextAloud causes TA to close and disappear from the list of open windows. The only solution I have found is to launch TextAloud again.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Here's what I think is happening. Alt+F4 is the default windows keyboard shortcut to close a window. In TextAloud, when we detect that the window is being closed, we allow you to configure the close action to either exit or minimize TextAloud.

File -> Exit from the TA menu will always exit the app, and the default keyboard shortcut is Alt+F4.

We're probably using Alt+F4 as a default incorrectly here, since we're mapping it to an exit action. We'll look at this for future versions, but you should be able to get around this by changing the shortcut for File -> Exit. From the TextAloud menu, click Tools -> Shortcut Setup. Scroll through the list and find the entry labeled "Exit TextAloud". Double click that entry to edit. You can either clear the shortcut completely, or change the Exit shortcut to something else. After adjusting the Exit shortcut, Alt+F4 should send TextAloud a Close message, which you then decide to treat as exit or minimize.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Thank you that worked for the Alt+f4 shortcut press. But i forgot to mention that I'm using autohotkey to start TA after a certain amount of time has passed after windows boot, and has set it to "winclose" TA as soon as it's open. I was using TAv3069 before and the "winclose" command of autohotkey worked as a minimizer, it didn't exit TA but now it does with the newest version. Well autohotkey is not your problem but would be great to get this functionality back in TA, at least for me because i cannot let TA start by itself without using autohotkey times start because of an old PC.
Last edited by SomeGuy123 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Lets see if I have this right. You're running the latest version of TextAloud (version 3.0.74), you're using autohotkey to start TextAloud, autohotkey is sending a 'winclose' to TextAloud to minimize the app, and minimize isn't working. Is that right?

If thats what you're seeing I think it is a bug in TA 3.0.74. Try downloading TA 3.0.74.1 using the installer at https://s3.amazonaws.com/NextUpDownloads/TA3074U1.exe and see if that fixes it.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Yes correct. But the new version you posted does the same thing as v3.0.74
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Would you please duplicate this problem and send me TextAloud debug files? So after autohotkeys fails to minimize TextAloud, go to the TextAloud menu and click Help -> Open Data Folder. In the folder displayed, locate the files TextAloudMP3.dbg, TextAloudMP31.dbg, TextAloudMP32.dbg and TextAloudMP33.dbg. Please attach these files to an email and send them to me at jim@nextup.com.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

I just sent them, thx.
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Problem was solved by Jim Bretti by implementing -auto after the ahk command. But sometimes it malfunctions, good enough, thanks.