decreasing pause between paragraphs

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

blake31

decreasing pause between paragraphs

Post by blake31 »

How do I decrease the amount of time that voices in TA pause between paragraphs? Although I figured this out a couple years ago on my home computer, I no longer remember how. I want to make the same modification with the copy of TA recently installed on my work system. I already consulted the help file and am still lost.
Jim Bretti

Re: decreasing pause between paragraphs

Post by Jim Bretti »

I think the best thing to try first is to try configuring the delay between paragraphs, using the Pauses and Text Insertions dialog under the TextAloud tools menu. So in that dialog configure an insertion with type "Insert Pause", and insert at "Between Paragraphs (1 or more newlines)"

For the pause value, if you want a very small delay, try a number like 0.001

When you specify a between paragraph pause like this, TextAloud replaces all newline characters with your pause tag. So configured like this, the voice engine no longer sees the newline characters that mark the end of a paragraph, the engine sees only the pause tags TextAloud embeds in the text.

Does that help?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
blake31

Post by blake31 »

How do I change the number for pause length? I can check the box for "Insert Pause Between Paragraphs (1 or more newlines)." However, I have not found a way to change the number from 0.5 to 0.01 using the keyboard.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

There are some defaults configured in the Pauses and Text Insertions dialog, it sounds like you might be looking at one of the defaults. If thats the case just double click the entry and you should be able to edit (and enable) it.

Let me know if that's not what you're seeing.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
blake31

Post by blake31 »

I can't double-click because I am unable to use a mouse. I am able to arrow to the relevant profile and check it. Pressing enter on the profile does nothing. Suggestions?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I'm sorry ... you can also press the F7 key to edit an entry. The accelerator keys should also work ... you can press the Alt key, followed by E to select the Edit menu, and E again to edit the entry.

I just noticed that the tab order for fields in the edit dialog is incorrect, I"ll get that fixed in the next update.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
blake31

Post by blake31 »

f7 is exactly what I needed to edit the pause length; problem solved. Thanks for the help.