Does TextAloud3 use an (German TextAloud3)Dictionary to edit

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

lune

Does TextAloud3 use an (German TextAloud3)Dictionary to edit

Post by lune »

Excuse please: My English is very very little and faulty. (I am German.)

In German:
Das deutsche Wort "Kapitel" ist ein Hauptwort mit sächlichem Geschlecht. "1. Kapitel" heißt demnach "erstes Kapitel", "2. Kapitel" "zweites Kapitel", "3. Kapitel" "drittes Kapitel" usw.
TextAloud liest aber nun so:
"1. Kapitel" "erster Kapitel" statt richtig "erstes Kapitel"
"2. Kapitel" "zweiten Kapitel" statt richtig "zweites Kapitel"
"3. Kapitel" "dritten Kapitel" statt richtig "drittes Kapitel" usw.

TextAloud spricht also Kapitel wie ein Substantiv mit männlichem Geschlecht.
Hierzu nun folgende Fragen:
1. benutzt TextAloud ein (mitgeliefertes deutsches) Wörterbuch, um z.B. "1. Kapitel", "2. Kapitel", "3. Kapitel" von sich aus richtig aussprechen zu können?
2. Könnte es sein, dass TesxtAloud "Kapitel" für ein männliches Substantiv hält und deswegen z.B. °1. Kapitel" "erster Kapitel" ausspricht?
3. Und könnte das Wort "Kapitel" im deutschen Wörterbuch nicht einfach als sächliches Substantiv eingetragen werden, so dass "1. Kapitel" tatsächlich auch richtig, also "erstes Kapitel" ausgesprochen wird, und "2. Kapitel" "zweites Kapitel" sowie "3. Kapitel" "drittes Kapitel" usw.?

In English:
The German word " Kapitel" is a noun with neuter gender. " 1. Kapitel " therefore is spoken "erstes Kapitel ", " 2. Kapitel " " zweites Kapitel ", "3. Kapitel " "drittes Kapitel" etc.
But now TextAloud reads as follows:
1. Kapitel " erster Kapitel " instead of right "erstes Kapitel"
2. Kapitel " zweiten Kapitel " instead of really "zweites Kapitel"
3. Kapitel " dritten Kapitel " instead of properly "drittes Kapitel" etc.
So TextAloud is speaking "Kapitel" as a noun masculine gender .

Now this, the following questions:
1. Does TextAloud use a ( supplied German ) dictionary, eg "1. Kapitel", "2. Kapitel", "3. Kapitel" by itself to be able to speak properly ?
2. Could it be that TextAloud thinks, "Kapitel" is a masculine noun and therefore pronounces "1. Kapitel" as "erster Kapitel" ?
3 And could the word " Kapitel " (by me) not simply be registered in the German dictionary as Substantiv neuter, so that "1. Kapitel" correctly is spoken " erstes Kapitel" , and "2. Kapitel" "zweites Kapitel" and "3. Kapitel " "drittes Kapitel" , etc. ?

Many Thanks
and please excuse my little knowledge!
Please excuse: I'm German and I speak and understand very little English. Thank you!
lune
Jim Bretti

Re: Does TextAloud3 use an (German TextAloud3)Dictionary to edit

Post by Jim Bretti »

TextAloud does not use any predefined dictionaries, problems like the one you're describing are generally related to the voice engine. If you bought the voice from NextUp, click Help > Support > Report A Problem and send a problem report. I can check version information in the problem report and let you know if an updated version of the voice is available. Just be sure to mention which voice you're having the problem with.

As far as workarounds ... Is there another word that has the same / similar meaning to the word Kapitel? The simplest solution I can think of would be to add a TextAloud pronunciation dictionary entry that respells Kapitel as some other word where the voice handles the gender correctly.

The only other way I can think of would be add TextAloud pronunciation dictionary entries for every occurrence of the problem.

So in pronunciation dictionary maintenance, create a dictionary entry, setting the Text Matching dropdown to "Simple Text". For the text to match on, use:
1. Kapitel

Set the Pronounce Using dropdown to "Respell", and set the field to:
erstes Kapitel

Similarly, you'd create separate dictionary entries to respell 2. Kapitel as zweites Kapitel, 3. Kapitel as drittes Kapitel, and so on.

If you need help getting started with pronunciation dictionary maintenance, it is located under the TextAloud Tools menu (Tools -> Text Processing -> Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance). You can add dictionary entries to the default dictionary, or you may want to create a new dictionary specifically associated with the voice / language / voice vendor you're having this problem with.

If you need more help just post here.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
lune

Re: Does TextAloud3 use an (German TextAloud3)Dictionary to edit

Post by lune »

I thank You very heartly, Jim Brettis. Your Answer is a great help. You write so exactly and simple. And now I too can anderstand the whole solution of my problem.
It is a great pleasure!

lune
Please excuse: I'm German and I speak and understand very little English. Thank you!
lune