Updated Firefox Toolbar

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jim Bretti

Updated Firefox Toolbar

Post by Jim Bretti »

Build Beta 138 includes an updated version of the Firefox toolbar. The toolbar now supports word highlighting, pause/resume, and options to speak entire page, highlighted text, and speak from cursor.

If you have any problems with the toolbar please post them here or email me at jim@nexup.com.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Scotchman

Re: Updated Firefox Toolbar

Post by Scotchman »

Well I got a shock today, I just noticed that right-clicking on the Firefox Toolbar no longer displays TextAloud as a Toolbar option and therefore no-longer allows me to add/remove or disable the Toolbar. I an Add/Remove Menu, Nav, Bookmarks, etc but unlike the TA2 Toolbar, It is now no-longer listed.

I usually have it deactivated for space and only display it when needed.

Phillip
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for catching that. The problem will be fixed in the next build, I'll probably put a build up on Monday.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

This should be fixed now in beta 140
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Good Job Jim,

It is fixed. I will only add that those who are running Firefox Portable instead of a standard install need to rename the "TAForFirefox.ZIP" to "TAForFirefox.xpi" then install it manual as a normal ADD-on!

An extra step, Yes, but unlike Version2. This actually installs like a normal Addon and does not require that old manual install of extracting it into the Firefox Global Directory, or of running a batch file.

I am very please with this turn of things.

Phillip
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I should have packaged the install as an xpi in the first place ... I'll do that in the next build. This will simplify installs for portable firefox also.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jeromecarney

Post by jeromecarney »

Since the toolbar rewrite, I've not been able to use it at all. Everytime I open firefox I receive the following error: "Exception: TypeError: this.Values[name] is undefined chrome://textaloud3/content/textaloud3.js110"
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I wonder if the toolbar install is somehow corrupted ... If you display Tools -> Add-Ons in Firefox, does the TextAloud 3 toolbar appear? If so, try uninstalling the toolbar, restart Firefox, and make sure Firefox starts with no errors. Then exit Firefox and reinstall TextAloud. You can download the current build from http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.

Let me know what happens.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jeromecarney

Post by jeromecarney »

Jim: I had already tried all the steps you suggested, but to no avail, including directly installing the XPI from within Firefox (3.6.7 - Windows). The toolbar does load in Firefox, but with only the "TextAloud" menu option and no buttons. The only menu items that are functional are TextAloud Options, Voice Options and About. All other menu items produce some variation of the "undefined" error message.

I also did install the most recent build of TextAloud, but I'm still encountering the same issues.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Can you go to the TextAloud main window and click help -> Support -> Report a Problem? I may be able to get some ideas from the debug info attached to the problem report. Please send the report to me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jeromecarney

Post by jeromecarney »

Jim -- I did email you the support file. If there's anything else I can do to help debug, please let me know.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

The tool bar with word highlighting is working well for me with Windows XP.

It would be great if auto-scrolling could be introduced though, as with IE.
I like to sit way back from the screen to listen without using the mouse to scroll the screen.

This would be very nice, but not urgent.
Dave UK
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Dave,

We ran into some problems with the auto-scrolling. We're holding on it for now, but we do plan to look at this later.

Jim
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
allan.123

Post by allan.123 »

Hi I was just wondering if the auto-scrolling issue with firefox was solved? I've just installed textaloud 3 and i've been looking through the setting menu to see if there is an option to turn auto-scrolling on - when being used with firefox.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I just placed an updated version of TextAloud at http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe. I'm trying a fix in this update that should solve the issues we were having with auto-scrolling text in Firefox.

Please try installing this update and let me know if the auto scroll does not work for you, or if you run into any problems with it.

Thanks.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com