Vocalizations of expressions

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

jhsimpson

Vocalizations of expressions

Post by jhsimpson »

Preface: I'm new at this - I'm willing to 'R.T.F.M.' - Just not sure where to start!

I've noticed in several of my TTS conversions of EPubs to MP3 that vocalizations of expressions like 'Mm' (as in yummy) and 'Ha' (as in laughter) are converted and pronounced as Millimeters and Hectare. Likewise, when referring to LA County the state substitution of Louisiana replaces the intended spelling of letters (for Los Angeles).

Is there the ability to see what 'substitutions' are currently setup in TextAloud. I'd like the ability to turn off select substitutions before performing a TTS convert to MP3 file. I realize that I should create New Entries into the Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance.

Thanks
-John-
Jim Bretti

Re: Vocalizations of expressions

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi John,

TextAloud does not perform any of these substitutions automatically, exactly for this reason. The only substitutions TextAloud performs are the ones you set up in pronunciation dictionary maintenance. The substitutions you're running into happen inside the voice engine. So the substitutions are voice dependent, and not documented as far as I know.

Unfortunately the only way I know of to deal with this is to correct the problems as they come up.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com