Pronouncing words ending with period [Mr. Mrs.]

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

eastephens

Pronouncing words ending with period [Mr. Mrs.]

Post by eastephens »

How do I stop TextAloud from pausing after words that end with a period, such as “Mr.” and “Mrs.”?
EAS
Jim Bretti

Re: Pronouncing words ending with period [Mr. Mrs.]

Post by Jim Bretti »

It sounds like you may have TextAloud configured to automatically insert pauses at the end of sentences, and TextAloud is treating the period after Mr / Mrs as the end of a sentence. If that's the case, about the only thing you can do now is add pronunciation dictionary entries to force "Mr." to be pronounced as "Mister", and "Mrs." to be pronounced as "Misses". So under the Tools menu, click Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance, and add 2 new dictionary entries to respell the simple text "Mr." and "Mrs." (without the quotes) as Mister and Misses.

Let me know if that doesn't help. We'll look at handling this better in future releases.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
eastephens

Post by eastephens »

I tried your suggestion to add specific dictionary entries for Mr. and Mrs.; however, the result is the same as before, TA treats the period as the end of a sentence and inserts the designated pause. Is it possible to add an exception for cases such as this?

Ernie
EAS
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Ernie,

I'd like to get some information from you. Please duplicate this problem in a small TextAloud article. From the TextAloud menu, click File -> Save Article As Text File, and save the article text to a text file.

Then, from the TextAloud menu, click Help -> Open Data Folder, and zip up the Dictionaries folder. Attached the zipped dictionaries files, along with the article text file to a reply, and send to me at jim@nextup.com

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com